It doesn't matter how often we are told that tap water is perfectly safe to drink, it just doesn't make it taste any better. For some, the taste of tap water and the possible added chemicals and additives such as fluoride make drinking tap water a bitter pill to swallow. For others the fact that ordinary tap water can fur up the kettle is a good enough reason to consider filtering it before use.
But how do we decide on the best way to filter our water and should we use a temporary solution or a permanent one? When making that decision the question to ask is whether the filter will be used purely in a domestic setting, what type of property you have and whether you want to reduce a certain type of contaminant.
Under sink filters
- Uses cartridges to remove up to 98% of chlorine, pesticides, rust and dirt, turning water back into its natural state for drinking. It will improve the taste and reduce the amount of water hardness. The cartridges should be changed around every 6 months or each 10,000 litres.
- Gives a flow rate of around 3 litres per minute.
- Can be fitted by a DIYer and changing the cartridges is easy. The design is compact and easy to install in the under sink area.
Fridge water filters
- American style fridges will often come with a water filter on the front door or sometimes inside the housing of the fridge.
- A carbon filter cartridge is used in this type of system.
- An external system is easy to replace, but internal can be more tricky.
- As they are plumbed to the water supply they will give fresh filtered water on demand and can even produce ice.
Reverse Osmosis filter
- These filters will remove pesticides, fluoride, bacteria, metals and more, giving great tasting water for drinking and cooking.
- The system provides an extra tap for water which comes directly from the filter.
- It works by separating water molecules from the pollutants by filtering them through a semi-permeable membranous. It relies on water pressure and is up to 98% efficient.
Whole of house water filter
- This type of filter will clean the water as it enters the house. It will remove bacteria, metals, chlorine and other contaminants. It will also remove lime-scale before it scales up your appliances.
- This type of water filter will soften the water at the same time and produce water which is great for drinking and for household functions.
- The water molecules become smaller making it more readily absorbed by your body and reducing the need for cleaners and washing powder.
- It is thought that the acidic nature of normal tap water causes many of the ailments which affect humans. Filtered water is more alkaline which can flush out toxins and restore electrolyte balance.